The commission's role is:
- To plan and work for the restoration of degraded ecosystems (with special emphasis on degraded lands) in the state.
- To act as an umbrella organization for accreditation of various NGOs seeking funds for restoration of degraded ecosystems, and
- To raise ecological awareness and to develop a conservation ethos among the people of Gujarat.
The approach adopted by the Commission therefore includes the following:
- To evolve a micro planning strategy at village level with the active participation of community based organizations, particularly women and other weaker sections and undertake restoration/ plantation activities so as to create models.
- To establish linkages among various Government departments, scientists, subject experts, NGOs and Industries towards developing a common vision of an ecologically sustainable development in the state of Gujarat.
- To sensitize the general public regarding importance of conservation of environment through multipronged initiatives.